Alex Simmons is an award-winning freelance writer. He’s also a creator of comic books, screenplays, and stage plays. And as a teaching artist and consultant he’s shared his years of experience globally. Yes, being Alex Simmons keeps him very busy.
What He’s Been Up To:
- He’s written for Disney Books, Penguin Press, Simon and Schuster, DC Comics, and Archie Comics.
- Created and wrote the acclaimed adventure comic book series, Blackjack.
- Written (and in some cases also created) a number of juvenile mysteries under a variety of pseudonyms for many well-known publishers.
- He has penned educational documentaries and several stage plays. His plays, Sherlock Holmes & the Hands of Othello, received critical praise. And it was published in Black Thunder: An Anthology of Contemporary African American Drama, published by Signet/Mentor Books.
- Developed concepts and scripts for animation projects.
- Lead numerous workshops and master classes as a teaching artist. His students range from middle school children to professional educators.
- Developed and led master classes in the United States, the Netherlands, Ireland, Senegal, India, Russia, and Serbia.
- Served on panels and delivered lectures on children’s entertainment and educational arenas. For years he has been a champion of empowering young people through the arts.
- Currently developing a global comics and creative arts program for children and young artists.
- Producing the annual family event, Kids Comic Con (which he co-founded), as well as three comic arts exhibits, which have traveled abroad.
Simmons has been a member of various arts and education boards such as …
- He was recently voted onto the Board of Advisors for the Africa Cartoon Centre, in Nigeria.
- Simmons is honored to be on the U.S. State Department’s Speakers List.
- The New York State Alliance for Arts Education,
- The New York States Council on the Arts,
- The Museum for Comics & Cartoon Art.